Children’s Dentistry & Orthodontics
At Mint Dental in Lucknow we offer comprehensive dental services for children of all ages, from infants to teenagers. We are kids’ dental specialists who are passionate about what we do. Under the guidance of our Pediatric Dentist, Dr. Atul Singh (MDS), we strive to provide the most current and advanced treatment options and make sure every little patient feels comfortable throughout the process. We specialize in pain-free treatment, that’s why if you entrust your child to us, he/she will get the necessary dental care with less anxiety and fear.
Dental Cleanings & Exams
Teeth Fillings & Sealants
What to Expect At Child’s First Visit to the Dentist?
It is very important to make a child’s first visit to the dentist as positive and enjoyable as possible. At Mint Dental in Lucknow, we want your child to enjoy getting to know our fantastic doctors and remain comfortable at all times. A pleasant first visit builds trust and helps put the child at ease during future dental visits!
At this time, the dentist can give you information on:
- Baby bottle tooth decay
- Infant feeding practices
- Mouth cleaning
- Pacifier habits
- Finger-sucking habits
- Prepare your child
If possible, schedule morning appointments so young children are alert and fresh.
Prepare a preschooler or older child for the visit by giving him or her a general idea of what to expect. Explain why it is important to go to the dentist. Build excitement and understanding.
- Prepare Yourself
Discuss your questions and concerns with the dentist. Remember that your feeling toward dental visits can be quite different from your child’s. Be honest with your view of the dentist. If you have dental anxieties, be careful not to relate those fears or dislikes to your child. Parents need to give moral support by staying calm while in the dental exam room. Children can pick up parents’ anxieties and become anxious themselves.
- Prepare The Dentist
At the first visit, Lucknow dentist Dr. Atul Singh at Mint Dental will take your child’s complete health history. For a restoration visit, such as getting a cavity filled, tell the us if your child tends to be stubborn, defiant, anxious, or fearful in other situations.
Watch how your child reacts. Many parents are able to guess how their child will respond and should tell the dentist. Certain behaviors may be linked to your child’s age:
- 10 to 24 months. Some securely attached children may get upset when taken from their parents for an exam.
- 2 to 3 years. A securely attached child may be able to cope with a brief separation from parents. In a 2-year-old, “no” may be a common response.
- 3 years. Three-year-olds may not be OK being apart from a parent when having a dental procedure such as getting a cavity filled. This is because most 3-year-olds are not socially mature enough to separate from parents.
- 4 years. Most children should be able to sit in another room from parents for exams and treatment procedures.
Your child’s first dental visit is to help your child feel comfortable with the dentist. The first dental visit is recommended by 12 months of age, or within 6 months of the first tooth coming in. The first visit often lasts 30 to 45 minutes. Depending on your child’s age, the visit may include a full exam of the teeth, jaws, bite, gums, and oral tissues to check growth and development. If needed, your child may also have a gentle cleaning. This includes polishing teeth and removing any plaque, tartar, and stains.
The dentist may show you and your child proper home cleaning such as flossing, and advise you on the need for fluoride. Baby teeth fall out, so X-rays aren’t often done. But your child’s dentist may recommend X-rays to diagnose decay, depending on your child’s age. X-rays are also used to see if the root of a jammed baby tooth may be affecting an adult tooth. In general, it is best that young children not have dental X-rays unless absolutely needed.
The Second Visit
Protect Your Children’s Teeth at Home
Here are some tips to protect your children’s teeth:
- Before teeth come in, clean gums with a clean, damp cloth.
- Start brushing with a small, soft-bristled toothbrush and a very small amount of toothpaste (the size of a grain of rice) when your child’s first tooth appears. Use a pea-sized dab of fluoridated toothpaste after 3 years of age. This is when the child is old enough to spit out the toothpaste after brushing.
- Prevent baby bottle tooth decay. Don’t give children a bottle of milk, juice, or sweetened liquid at bedtime or when put down to nap.
- Limit the time your child has a bottle. Your child should empty a bottle in 5 to 6 minutes or less.
- Help your child brush his or her own teeth until age 7 or 8. Have the child watch you brush, and follow the same brushing pattern to reduce missed spots.
- Limit foods and treats that increase tooth decay. This includes hard or sticky candies, fruit leather, and sweetened drinks and juice. Offer fruit rather than juice. The fiber in fruit tends to scrape the teeth clean. Juice just exposes the teeth to sugar.
When should I schedule my child’s first visit to the dentist?
The pediatric dentist at Mint Dental, Dr. Atul Singh, recommends that a child’s first dental visit be scheduled by his or her first birthday.
How do you deal with fearful or anxious children?
Our pediatric dentist at Mint Dental, Dr. Atul Singh, is experienced in dealing with children with anxiety and can explain treatment procedures in a positive and pleasant manner to avoid any negative feelings toward dentistry. Our doctors and staff will explain everything in detail and will answer any questions. Children should be encouraged to discuss any fears or anxiety they feel. Parents should not make a big deal out of the visit and refrain from using any words that could cause unnecessary fear, such as “needle” or “drill.”
What’s involved during my child’s first dental visit?
We will record your child’s dental and medical history, complete a comprehensive examination and discuss any findings with you. We will also review the importance of maintaining a good dental health program with you and your child to ensure a healthy and beautiful smile for life!
If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment with Dr. Atul Singh at Mint Dental call +918795229292 or request an appointment by filling out the form on this page.
A top-rated clinical team
At Mint Dental keeping your smile healthy and beautiful is our top priority! Our Doctors and staff provide you with dental care that is effective, gentle, and customized to meet your specific dental needs.
Our team stays a step ahead of the game with advanced training and dental services to make sure you receive nothing less than the best possible care.